Women and men (separate housing) with or without children, come to Life Under Construction to find a safe space to rebuild their lives. Upon arrival, they will stay in Level 1 transitional housing. These homes offer a family-like environment with communal living spaces and a private room for each family as well as 24-hour support staff and security. Residents stay in our communal homes for up to 1 year, which gives them the time they need to achieve financial stability and find long-term housing.
We are proud to offer an inclusive and safe home dedicated to the health and well-being of men, fathers, boys and their families. We provide workshops, counselling, discussion groups and a variety of special events. We offer a spacious, temporary living opportunity for single men as well as fathers with children. This unique facility is dedicated to men and families who have experienced any form of domestic abuse.
Programs include trauma and abuse support, suicide prevention, fathering, tutoring, mentorship and legal aid. We run services, research, advocacy, outreach and public education on all aspects of men’s issues.
Additional help will be available including:
- Advocacy and help to access community programs and services
- Information and referrals to lawyers, income assistance, low-income housing, etc.
- Information on legal issues (such as custody and access)
- Education and counselling on the dynamics of intimate partner violence and abuse
- Help to develop a safety plan
- Weekly support groups for women and men(separate) in the facility on issues such as self-esteem, self-care and assertiveness
- Assistance with transportation to appointments
Additionally, the home will provide programs specifically for children who have come with their mothers and fathers and have witnessed intimate partner violence and abuse in their homes. When children leave their homes and come to a strange place, they are often very frightened and confused.
The children’s staff and volunteers will provide support and counselling for children, parenting assistance, support, and often just fun normal activities that the children have perhaps not experienced for a long time. We will provide a fully equipped playroom which will be a haven for children to regain their childhood.